So I am guessing that you’ve stumbled upon here to try to find the best humidifier for babies. First off, congratulations on having a baby! If you are not having a baby, congratulations on being an amazing person buying an amazing and helpful gift. If you’re neither of those, well, congratulations on just being you. In order to help you pick out the best humidifier for babies, we have done our research to create an informative guide that should narrow down your search to find that perfect humidifier for babies (or for adults)!
As we all know, the humidifier in the baby’s room is a very important decision and should not be taken lightly. Your baby is very sensitive to the air around them and the extra moisture in the air from the humidifier can help in a number of different ways. That is why we will first begin discussing the benefits of humidifiers for babies.
Benefits of Humidifiers For Babies:
- Protecting Baby’s Skin:
The most important reason that parents prefer to have a good-quality humidifier in their baby’s room is that it provides protection against dry air. This is especially true in the winter months when the indoor air is especially dry due to the heating system. When heaters are turned on, indoor humidity can drop to less than 10% (when in fact, the average home should be 20%-30% in the winter and up to 40%-50% in the summer). With the drop in humidity, viruses can grow more quickly, which cause a baby to get sick more easily. Think about it this way, most adults have sensitive skin- imagine a baby’s skin if it is not properly taken care of.
A humidifier also helps to protect the baby from other dryness issues that are caused throughout the year such as chapped lips, dry eyes, and itchy skin. These can all irritate babies no matter where you live, but especially are common in colder climates.
- Fighting Against Cold and Illness:
Humidifiers can be used as preventative tools to help babies feel more comfortable if they are feeling cold or if they show flu symptoms. Since they have a rough time adjusting to the dry air caused by the heater, the humidifier moistens the air around the room to provide the baby with a less ‘dry’ feeling. This typically alleviates some of the irritation around the throat, nasal tubes, and the nasal passages.
Misconception: Many first-time parents believe that they will only need a humidifier if the baby is sick. This is actually a misconception. A humidifier also helps babies sleep better (sick or not). The lack of moisture actually makes babies and small children uncomfortable in their sleep.
- For the Baby’s Voice:
As we develop, our vocal cords need humidity to help us feel comfortable talking. Imagine a very cold day or a very warm/dry day- how difficult it is to talk when there is almost no humidity. Now, it is the same for a baby. They have very sensitive vocal cords and need an ample amount of humidity in the room in order to feel comfortable sleeping, making noises, crying, etc… otherwise, it will feel sandy to them and can be really unpleasant.
Types of Humidifiers for Babies:
When choosing the best humidifier for babies, you have to first understand the types of humidifiers offered in the market. There are two types of humidifiers that are regularly available for purchase. The third option would be in-duct humidifiers, which are humidifiers that are installed within the actual air ducts of the home. Though this may make sense for home renovations/purchases, we will not go very far into detail with this option. The two types of humidifiers for babies are:
- Cool Mist Humidifier for Babies:
The cool mist humidifier does not have a heating element that allows the water to be heated up. The largest advantage of having the cool mist humidifier for babies is that there is no risk of the baby or child to get burnt by the machine when they get too close to it. Though this is unlikely to happen, there is always a chance that the baby gets too close to the warm mist and hurts themselves.
Parent tip: If you will not keep a close eye on the child or will not have the humidifier out of reach of the children, we recommend the cool mist
General tip: Cool mist humidifiers do not do anything to make the mist any cooler- they just use room temperature water so the mist feels ‘cooler’ on the skin.
Warm Mist Humidifier for Babies:
Warm mist humidifiers heat the water with a built-in heating element. The humidifier boils the water into steam. This actually sterilizes the water so that fewer bacteria can be spread across the room.
Another name for the warm mist humidifier is vaporizer. As mentioned above, there is really no major difference between the warm mist humidifier and the cool mist humidifier aside from the heating element. They are built in nearly the same way and produce a similar mist function.
Some parents have sworn by the vaporizer (warm mist humidifier) to warm the air and keep their babies feeling more comfortable in the dry air. Others have shied away from the product due to the risk of hot water accidents.
The Ultrasonic Humidifier:
This humidifier is the most modern type of humidifier and is typically highly recommended for babies. It uses high-frequency sound waves to vibrate the water, which creates mist. These humidifiers are typically the quietest because they don’t have a fan at all. Also, they have demineralized cartridges that have to be replaced every few weeks.
What To Consider When Choosing the Best Humidifier For Babies:
When choosing the best humidifier for babies, you have to understand some of the considerations that must be made in order to make a purchase.
Though there is an entire range of products out in the market, we typically recommend not purchasing the cheapest ones. The benefits in price typically do not justify the quality of product that you are receiving. Having said that, you also don’t have to go out spending an arm and a leg to buy a humidifier for a baby (or for yourself). The typical humidifier should cost between $40-$100 dollars depending on some of the features, quality, brand, warranty, etc… that you are looking for.
We understand that this is an electrical appliance which uses water. That can be scary- especially for first-time parents and that is why you should consider doing your research (which you are doing right here!) and making sure that this is exactly that product that you want. If you do not feel comfortable with the warm mist humidifier, we recommend you consider choosing the cool mist humidifier for your child.
Though they vary, cool mist humidifiers can, at times, be louder than warm mist humidifier because they have a fan. Some models do have silencing features, which allow for them to be quieter. This can be beneficial especially if you have a baby that is sensitive to noise.
- Water Quality
Many humidifier companies and pediatricians do recommend that you filter your water. This is due to the fact that tap water has minerals that can clog up the unit, which will stop it from creating mist. Filtered water can be purchased for under a dollar at the store, or you can install a water filter in the home for relatively cheap. This may be beneficial so your humidifier lasts longer and maintains its quality.
- Humidifier Maintenance and Cleaning
It is vital to make sure that the humidifier is performing as well as it can. Typically, the warm mist humidifier takes more cleaning and maintenance than the cool mist humidifier. You should always look for a humidifier which requires less maintenance and also has less overall maintenance price.
General Tip: Some units actually have replaceable filters. In order to clean these filters, you can either replace them every few months or soak them in hot vinegar water about once a week.
List of best humidifiers with features, pros, and cons:
TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier, Ultrasonic Air Humidifiers for Bedroom:
The TaoTronics TT-AH001 home humidifier is an ultrasonic humidifier that emits water vapor to moisten the dry air. It uses a micro porous ceramic cartridge that filters water from microorganisms and bad odor. (Please do not use any essential oil or similar chemical perfume with this product.) the humidity level can easily be set to the ideal setting for your room.
You can also adjust the mist modes and use the 360-degree nozzle to adjust the mist angle so it’s right for you. As an ultrasonic humidifier, it’s incredibly quiet and doesn’t make a sound, which is perfect to use when going to sleep. Over 1 gallon capacity and 15 hour working time on a full tank will last most of the day and well into the night.
The LED display provides information including the humidity level and other modes you are using. Sleep mode turns off the LED at night so it doesn’t disturb your sleep. Two handles on the top and the bottom of the unit make it convenient to replenish the water. Finally, the timer sets the humidity for a set period before switching the humidifier off.
Features of TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier:
- Upgraded LED display cool mist humidifier with a micro porous cartridge to filter the water from microorganisms and bad odor. No essential Oil allowed.
- Set humidity level and control the amount of mist, while designed to humidify the air in rooms up to 20~25m².
- Over a gallon of water capacity and 15 hour, working time on a full tank of water will last well into the night.
- Other features: a built-in timer; LED display; sleep mode; and a 360-degree rotatable nozzle. Produces less than 38 dB of noise, making it quieter than the old version.
- Ultrasonic humidifiers are incredibly silent so it will never disturb you; a perfect humidifier for a baby.
Cool Mist Humidifier – Anypro Ultrasonic Room Humidifier:
The Anypro Ultrasonic Room Humidifier is power packed with advanced ultrasonic technology which safely moisturizes the air for 10-16 hours of continuous operation with 2-liter capacity(depending on mist control setting) so you can breathe easily and maintain the ideal humidity level.
It also supports automatically timers to turn off the humidifier after certain hours as per the demand. You can even adjust the mist levels to low or high according to your comfort level.
The power adapter is detachable and makes it easier to pour water out instead of carrying the cord around. You can also Enable the Soft Night Light to which is relaxing blue night light makes it suitable for a nursery humidifier for kids
Noise level: ≤30db
Water capacity: 2L
Input: AC 100-240V, 50 / 60Hz
Dimension: 220(L)*220(W)*252(H) mm
Mist coverage: 20~30㎡
- Distilled water works best for antibacterial effect and is recommended to use.
- We recommend cleaning the humidifier once a week to suppress mold growth. The water in the white base needs to be replaced when it is not in use. Otherwise, it may cause unpleasant odors.
- Empty the water in the base from the side opposite the Dry Air Exhaust.
- Don’t scratch the ultrasonic disk. Use a soft brush or a piece of cloth when cleaning.
Features of TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier:
- Cool Mist Humidifier: Advanced ultrasonic technology safely moisturizes the air for 8-12 hours of continuous operation with 2-liter capacity(depending on mist control setting) so you can breathe easily and maintain the ideal humidity level.
- Optional Timer Settings: The timers set the humidifier at 1/3/6 hours per your demand before turning the humidifier off automatically.
- High / Low Mist Levels: Adjusts the mist output to fit the room humidity and your comfort level.
- Detachable Power Adapter：Makes it easier to pour water out instead of carrying the cord around.
- Soft Night Light: Optional relaxing blue night light makes it suitable as a nursery humidifier for kids.
Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier – Premium Humidifying Unit:
Moisturize the dry air in your home or office in minutes with the Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier from Pure Enrichment. This powerful and aesthetically pleasing tabletop humidifier is packed with smart features that make it the perfect solution for improving the air quality in any room.
The humidifier’s 1.5-liter tank delivers a moisture output of 150 milliliters per hour making it the perfect solution to relieve the symptoms associated with dry air. On the low setting, you can expect up to 16 hours of continuous, safe operation.
The Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier is backed by Pure Enrichment’s industry-leading 2 Year Warranty so your satisfaction is guaranteed.
Features of Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier:
- Ultrasonic cool mist technology safely moisturizes the air for up to 16 hours of continuous operation so you can breathe easy and get more restful sleep.
- 1.5-liter tank capacity provides ideal coverage for bedrooms, offices, and other medium-sized rooms.
- 360-degree mist nozzle and dual-speed control make it easy to adjust mist direction and speed to fit your comfort level.
- Automatic shut-off safely turns humidifier off when the water level is low or the water tank is removed.
- Optional night light offers soothing glow for maximum relaxation.
Cool Mist Humidifier, TaoTronics Ultrasonic Humidifiers
TaoTronics Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier emits water mist up to 300 milliliters/h to purify air and improve our respiratory system and skin health. The ultrasonic sound is silent and perfect for home and office use. It’s extra fine ceramic cartridge filters water from microorganisms and bad odor.
The filter is easily cleaned and has very low maintenance and prolonged life service. Its classic control knob adjusts work frequency and mist level with a simple twist. Two 360 degree rotatable nozzles blow mist in two directions at any angle; it automatically shuts off when it detects low water and LED indicator turns red.
The high 3.5-liter capacity water tank will last up to 10 hours without a refill. Maximum output of 300 milliliter/h produces enough vapor that humidifies the air in a large space.
Features of TaoTronics Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier:
- Quiet and healthy, TaoTronics ultrasonic humidifier silently infuses your room with clean moisturized air, so you can enjoy a clean, crisp and odorless air around you.
- The extra fine ceramic filter filters out water impurity, harmful bacteria and bad odor at the molecular level, leaving you with a clean and pure water vapor. We do not recommend adding any essential oil or similar chemical perfume in the water.
- Double 360-degree rotatable mist nozzles output mist in two directions simultaneously, the maximum output of 330 ml/h (0.08 gal/h) quickly filling a large space of up to 25 m2 / 270 ft.
- Classic control knob adjusts the amount of mist flow nice and easy; the humidifier shuts off automatically when detects low water with a warning red LED indicator, Weight(oz): 40.
- Large 3.5 L / 0.92 gal. water tank means you get up to 10 hours of continuous mist without refilling, ideal for home and office use, Size(in): 8.74×8.03×12.20.
Honeywell HCM350W Germ-Free Cool Mist Humidifier:
The humidifier’s scientifically proven process uses a patented Ultra-Violet light technology to kill up to 99.9% of bacteria, mold, fungus, and virus in the unit’s water. This provides the assurance that the moisture the humidifier emits is virtually free of germs.
The Honeywell Germ-Free Humidifier features UV technology that helps kill up to 99.9% of bacteria, mold, and fungus that’s in the water. It’s large tank, 2-gallon tank is easy to fill, carry and clean, making humidification more convenient than ever!
Features of Honeywell HCM350W Germ-Free Cool Mist Humidifier:
- QuietCare Performance – up to 25% quieter than other evaporative humidifiers.
- Soothing, invisible moisture to relieve dry air discomforts.
- 3-speed settings to adjust moisture output and sound level.
- Wicking filter removes impurities from water reducing white dust and providing clean moisture output.
- Runs up to 24 hours per filling on low setting.
Primacc Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier, 2.5-Liter Humidifying
It may happen that children may lift the tank accidentally, but don’t worry about electric leakage, since the humidifier will automatically turn off for safe operation. Meanwhile, when the water is running out or at low water level, it will also shut-off for energy saving.
Mist output level matters a lot. Steady mist output helps to humidify in the right level and the furniture won’t get wet, what’s more, with the unique nozzle design, it provides steady mist output which can help breathe easier. Different from other models, simple line and beautiful shape produce this humidifier a classic humidifier for decorating your home.
Features of Primacc Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier, 2.5-Liter Humidifying Unit:
- IMPROVE AIR CONDITION: Well prevented dry or chapped skin, stuffy air, flu germs in dry conditions. Humidify the air, breathe easier, and relieve a cough and sinus congestion due to colds, allergies, and flu.
- 2.5L CAPACITY: Extra-large tank capacity allows 12 hours working time. (Under min mist-exit volume condition.
- ADJUSTABLE MIST SPRAY: The mist output can be adjusted at random while the highest mist-exit volume is 200ml/h. Auto shut off when out of water or at low water level for protection.
- WHISPER-QUIET ULTRASONIC DESIGN: By using ultrasonic waves to create a mist, this humidifier effectively spreads scent throughout your home and helps you breathe easier. Also, the steady mist output allows quiet operation which it’s quite sleep-friendly.
- NIGHT LIGHT FUNCTION: Kids and Baby will be afraid of staying in the dark if they had a bad dream; now this little night light can make them feel safe.
Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier:
Ultrasonic Drop Shape Cool Mist Humidifier, Very calm and quiet personal humidifier and aroma diffuser, Perfect cool mist bedroom humidifier This cool mist humidifier comes with a high-quality stone filter that will keep the humidifier clean and give you a soft and healthy mist.
The humidifier filter will also eliminate the bad smell of the water. Run’s the whole night without needing to refill Easily adjust the vapor flow with the control knob, Humidifier water tank capacity: 2.8 Liters This cozy home humidifier has a built-in 7 color LED night light.
This will make it the perfect ultrasonic cool mist humidifier for bedrooms. Aroma Diffuser: Enjoy your favorite oil and water based aroma while humidifying the air.
Features of Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier:
- Premium Humidifier – moisturizes the air for up to 14 hours of continuous operation, Built-in 7 color LED night light, (Yellow, Orange, Red, Purple, Indigo, Blue, Green).
- Diffuser- Humidifier for Home, Office, Bedroom, Spa and more.
- Automatic shut-off turns humidifier off when the water level is low or the water tank is removed.
- Longer mist stream provides perfect coverage and leaves no condensation on the floor. Suitable for medium-sized to large rooms.
- 360-degree mist nozzle and Easily adjust the Vapor flow with the control knob.
Vornadobaby Huey Nursery Evaporative Humidifier:
Huey allows parents to create a perfectly humidified environment for baby, without compromising their sense of safety or style. Gentle evaporative humidification softens baby’s air using absorbent wicks. Unlike ultrasonic humidifiers, Huey introduces no white dust into baby’s environment. While vaporizers heat water to scalding temperatures, Huey applies no heat and stores water at room temperature.
Other humidifiers are a hassle to refill, Huey’s water bottle is lightweight, fits in any sink, and refills easily. The drop-in style bottle installs simply and rests securely, and when Huey needs water, it proactively “pings” busy parents. The tank begins to gently glow – many hours before the water runs out. With automatic humidity control, Huey’s fan adjusts intelligently to maintain room humidity precisely and efficiently.
In the case of accidental bumps, spill/splash guards are built in to keep water off the floor and disassembles for easy cleaning. The fan’s removable grill assures cleaning of the fan is simple as well. Safety is essential in the nursery, so Huey’s unique lockable controls keep the baby and older children from disrupting parent’s desired settings, and light up at night for safety and convenience.
Because Huey does not create white dust, parents know the baby is breathing perfectly humidified air without the airborne or waterborne minerals contained in ultrasonic mist. No sharp edges, extra stable base, integrated cord wrap. A 5 Year Happy Parent Guarantee assures every customer a completely satisfactory product experience.
Features of Vornadobaby Huey Nursery Evaporative Humidifier:
- Gentle evaporative humidification creates no white dust and requires no heated water.
- Humidifies all the air using Vornado’s signature Vortex Action to evenly distribute humidified air.
- 12-16 hour run time; 1-gallon output per day; Easy to fill a water bottle with 32oz. capacity.
- 2 airflow settings; Lockable, backlit controls; Automatic humidity control.
- Removable grill for easy cleaning; Backed by a 5-year Happy Parent Guarantee.
Venta Airwasher 2-in-1 Humidifier & Air Purifier – LW45 Grey:
For rooms up to 800 sq. ft.The Venta Airwasher LW45 humidifies dry room air while simultaneously purifying it by removing dust, pollen, pet dander, and other allergens.
Venta Airwashers do not use filters; water is the filter.This makes the products easy to maintain and clean.Additionally, Venta Airwashers do not produce the “white dust” common with other humidifiers due to the fact that we use cold water evaporation technology.
Features of Venta Airwasher 2-in-1 Humidifier & Air Purifier – LW45:
- Humidifies dry room air while simultaneously purifying it by removing dust, pollen, pet dander, and other allergens.
- For rooms up to 800 square feet.
- No filter or replacement items needed to operate the unit – water is the filter.
- No “white dust” common with other humidifiers.
- Auto shut-off with water refill indicator light – 3-gallon capacity.
- 10- Year Warranty.
- Cold evaporation technology.
TaoTronics Ultrasonic Humidifier for Bedroom:
Breathe Easy All Day Long
Enjoy moist air and keep germs and bacteria at bay with TaoTronics Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier. Its large 5L water tank provides more than 13 hours of continuous air humidifying operation and protection against excessively dry air. So you can enjoy a clean, crisp and comfortable air environment at office and home.
4 Levels of Adjustable Mist Output
Improve air quality in just a few seconds with maximum output, lower the mist level for a slower, more gradual change that lasts up to an entire day. Preset humidity level lets you control exactly how moist you want the surroundings to be.
Contemporary Design, Convenient Lift
With its Contemporary home décor design, the TaoTronics humidifier will naturally blend into any home or office settings. It has handles on both ends of the water tank to make carrying and lifting easy, especially when the tank is wet and slippery.
Perfect Solution for the Perfect Air
6-button touch control put every control in your hands. Sleep mode and auto-off timer give you extra control over the humidifying operation. Digital LED display makes every operation status clear at a simple glance.
Features of TaoTronics Ultrasonic Humidifier for Bedroom:
- 5L Large Reservoir: At max mist output, you get 13 hours of continuous air humidifying without refilling, lower output enables the humidifier to work even longer. We do not recommend adding any essential oil or similar chemical perfume in the water.
- Ultrasonic Humidifying, Quietly Improving: No sound means no interference with your work or living, only quietly infuse your room with clean, moisturized air.
- 4-Level Adjustable Mist: Control the amount of moisture output to suit the environment.
- Set And Forget: Preset humidity level let you achieve your desired comfort, low water protection adds operational safety.
- Digital Display, Touch Control: Contemporary look with 6-buttons touch control and precise digital LED display of operation status.
Frequently Asked Questions for Best Humidifiers for Babies:
These are the most frequently asked questions about humidifiers.
Q. What is the ideal humidity level I should maintain in my home?
A. We typically recommend that you maintain a humidity level between 30%-50%. Typically, when there is a humidity level beyond 50%, this can create a mold, bacteria, and other nasty things that we want to avoid. When the humidity level is under 30%, the chances of us getting sick are much higher. As mentioned above, humidity levels can reach 10% in the winter. That is why getting sick is so common during the winter and dry months.
Q. How much energy does a humidifier use?
A. Though all humidifiers vary, we have found that that there will be a very small impact on your energy bills. The answer obviously depends on how many hours you keep the humidifier on, how powerful it is, how many sq. feet it covers, whether the warm mist humidifier function is on, etc… You will most likely not see a large difference in the price of your energy bill due to a humidifier.
Q. Will the humidifier wake my baby?
A. Probably not. Your baby has a larger chance of waking up with a cough, cold, dry throat, skin irritation, or other issues that are caused by dry air, than waking up from most humidifiers. Granted, some humidifiers are louder than others, you will find that humidifiers with ultrasonic features are very quiet and seemingly unnoticeable. We chose a group of the best humidifiers for babies so any of the choices above should be at least moderately quiet.
Q. Where should I place the humidifier?
A. Typically, you should avoid having the humidifier near the floor or walls or vents. If the humidifier is too close to the vent, walls, or floors, this can throw off the humidity rating. We recommend keeping the humidifier on a dresser or chair. Also, try not to point the humidifier at the baby or child. If it is a warm mist humidifier, make sure not to keep it within reach of the child.
Q. How often should I change the water in the filter?
A. Most companies recommend changing the water daily. If your machine has a germ-killing filtration system, you will most likely be able to change the water every couple of days. It typically just depends on how much you use your machine.
General Tip: If you do not see visible mist, please do not be alarmed. Make sure to read the instruction manual to see if this is normal. As long as you are seeing a decrease in water as you continue to use your humidifier, it should be working. This is most common in cool mist humidifiers.
If you are planning to buy a humidifier then the first thing you should know is that you need warm or cool mist humidifier. As there are several humidifiers available in the market, you should also check other factors such as noise, ease of cleaning, size, controlling mist output, less heating, automatic features to turn off or schedule. Investing your money in the humidifier is always a great choice as it helps to keep your baby more comfortable.
For your ease of access, I have created the Best Humidifiers for Babies so that you can save enough time and choose the right humidifier for your baby. Price should not be an issue but you should atleast get the Best Humidifier for your baby which satisfies all the needs without even compromising the quality and performance. At last, the safety of your baby should be the first concern and you should choose the humidifier which is ideal to fit in a baby room.